Wednesday 12 December 2012

Gateway Racism

Need a light - JDM Media

Damn, living Indian stereotypes piss me off. 

Last week I started working as a dishy at a restaurant called the Boat House 20 minutes down the road. It's alright for a dishy job, so for now it's going to keep me above water while I look for something better. 

The one problem with it isn't the work, it's my colleague. 

Tornado, his name is. I guess that must be an Indian name. He's the most frantic man this side of the black sea and needs everything to be done his way. I can't even work without him going "No, bad." then giving me something else to do. 

I'm exposed to this kind of irritation and the only thing that sets him apart from everyone else is the fact that he's Indian. So now my brain is slowly liking annoyance to Indians and I can't let that happen. 

We all know that racism towards Indians is healthier than cigarettes for way more of a buzz. If you still want to be racist, but don't want all the negative side effects of other racisms, the Indian root is your best choice. But kids, rascism towards Indians is more than just an easy to access, harmless, legal-in-some-states racism. It's a gateway racism.

That's right, a gateway racism. You see you start with the Indians, pointing out something half funny about their accent but everyone laughs cause they're racist. Then one of your friends might see an Asian and do the stretchy eye thing. You're confused inside and a little scared. You've heard stories of people falling into comas from Asian racism. But, you've become used to your Indian racism and think to give it a try. You utter a racial slur under your breath, then suddenly you've crossed the tipping point.

You've begun a long spiraling nose dive. You being to become racists towards specific countries, beginning with Ethiopia and ending up at France of Holland trying to quench your thirst for unwarranted racism. When there are no countries left to try, you start looking for new things to be racist against and before you know it you've hit the lowest of the low: You're racist against left-handed people. 

It's an epidemic in Australia. Watch the video, http://www.salon.com/2012/09/30/is_it_okay_to_be_left_handed/ 

Last week when I was taking pictures of Cameron busking, I met two guys who asked Cam if they could light their cigarettes with his poi. I thought that was such a cool idea so I asked them to do it again and snapped some shots. After they left, we also met two German girls who were couch surfing and had no where to go. I let them use ours for the night. 

I have to remember that Tornado is one of a kind, a living stereotype that isn't a model of all Indians. If not, I could fall into the racism trap and next time I find two couch surfing Germans I'll be too racist to give them a place to stay. 

- James

Light me up - JDM Media


No comments:

Post a Comment