Monday 3 December 2012

My Fire Staff

My new fire staff - Eric Provencher
I took none of the pictures in this post!

Last weekend I went to a circus store with Cameron and saw a fire staff. I had to have it. 

In Canada I used to practice bow staff after Matt gave me one. I didn't get that good at it, mainly because every time I messed up it would damn near knock me out. It was three times heavier than my new one, plus I couldn't light it on fire. 
The practice tree - Eric Provencher
For the last week I've gone out to practice for an hour everyday. I normally just walk down to the park next to my house and stand in front of one of the trees. 

It's become a ritual. I feel extremely calm when I'm spinning the staff. Well, I'm calm until it hits me and I throw it at the tree in frustration. 

Most of the time there is no one in the park, so it's just me surrounded by trees, the river and birds flying around. I don't make a sound, so it feels like I'm in Lord of the Rings or something practicing how to fight. It's an image I will use in my writing soon, as I am determined to start writing my book again. 
Throw - Eric Provencher





Anyway, I practiced it for about a week until I decided I was going to light it on fire. The thing about my staff in particular is that their are four pieces of wrapped Kevlar on each end meaning I could probably create some interesting effects with salts that burn different colors. I was going to light each spoke one by one as I got better, but it turns out each one is too small to be lit individually. So I lit two so far, and I will light them all next time.

Fire staff - Andreanne
I'm also trying to do something I've never done before and become good at contact staff. Contact staff is when you flip the staff around without using your hands at all. Instead you use your forearms to balance it in the air and guide it wherever you want it to go. My style is very aggressive and strike oriented, so I think bringing some contact staff into it will add more tranquility to the dance.

Now, why would you want to learn to do fire staff? Wouldn't it be a waste of time when you could be getting a career instead.

Melted face - Andreanne
Well, yesterday me and Cameron went busking in Red Square in Melbourne. We busked for a little less than three hours when the rain and wind forced us into the shopping center near by. We talked to lots of people and almost got filmed for a street art show. We also left with a guitar bag with $93.20 in it.

This was on a rainy Monday night. Imagine when all the drunkards are out on Friday. They'll throw money at us.

So, if I can get good at fire dancing I can always have a side job (or a job if I'm unemployed). I mean everyone loves fire. EVERYONE.

Anyway, I've gotta go practice.

-James

Great shot - Andreanne



3 comments:

  1. i would love to see that..... good luck with your fire dancing, both you and cameron! hope you make lots of money on the weekends..... how about learning to spit fire??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron says its not that fun. I might though later on.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete