Wednesday 13 March 2013

Attacked by a swarm of paper wasps, reacted with flame thrower.

Day 1

I woke up this morning and what a morning it was. Filled with earliness and not-wanting-to-be-awakeness. However I pushed through and managed to get to breakfast on time. Hooray!

So, that was at 7h30 and then at 8 I spent the morning practicing staff then I started work. Within 15 minutes I was drenched in sweat and over the course of the morning I drank something like 7 flasks of water. I got lunch then went to do some jobs in the shade.

After lunch I started hedge trimming paths around the place so it was easier to get to the ducks. I did one near the pool then after that I started to push my way through to the duck pens. Within a few swipes of the bush I began to feel a tingling, stinging kind of sensation at two dozen different points on my body.

I ran away from the painful place but the pain only got worse. Turns out I'd hit a paper wasp hive and been attacked by the swarm. Well fuck, I thought and so called Trevor in to tell me wtf I was supposed to do against a paper wasp hive. Well, he showed me. This is what you you do.
NOT MY PICTURE - Paper Wasp according to google images
Step one: get airosol can
Step two: hold lighter in front of nossel
Step three: turn airosol can into a flame thrower
Step four: burn the mofos and imagine their screams, as they are insects and cannot scream.

After that I went about my day doing more ravenous lunaticy things like mowing grass and drinking electrolytes. Then, the sky itself yelled down at me and threatened to exact punishment on my mortal soul.

And by that I mean a tropical storm rolled in. I put all the tools away in safe places then stood in the drive and watched as the sky quickly became a mass of absolute gray. It was like God was photoshoping the world and had created a soft light layer and made it 50% gray. ONLY HE CHANGED THE BLEND MODE TO NORMAL.

Anyway, so you could hear the rain coming in before it got there. The birds were all freaking out and I just watched. I got soaked in 5 seconds and eventually made my way inside. I looked out from the windows and saw the spiders coping with the rain and the trees bending in the wind. It was awesome.

Later as I was trimming hedges I managed to trim a hose line. I fixed it though. As I finished up some last chores the sun started to fall and I didn't pay much attention. I wheelbarrowed some stuff down a path and then I noticed how beautiful the set was. The sky was a cascade of colors that faded from deep purple all the way to summer blue. Apparently it wasn't even I good one. Trevor says he'll let me set up my camera in one of the machines and he'll lift me high enough to get a good picture.

There are so many picture opportunities up here. I'm gonna have a great time.

- James

No comments:

Post a Comment